You might have heard it for many times that if you want to be successful and/or happy in life, you have to know your talents. You have to go for the thing that you feel good about. But how to find your talent? Can anyone tell you?
It doesn’t have to be for the sake of creating a big business. You might just be best at something simple you have never considered a big thing. But it’s definitely good to know because it also makes you more proud of yourself if you know what are your special qualities. Everyone of us has some.
But that’s the problem. You have no clue what talent you have.
You might be pretty confused and don’t know where to start off.
Well, you are not the only one. Many people feel this way and are not sure what their real talent is.
So how can you find out?
There are a few tips what I suggest to everyone with this issue:
1. What would you do if money was no object
Imagine you have won a few millions and didn’t have to work anymore as you had income let’s say from some properties. What would you do then?
We often think that if we won a big pile of money, we wouldn’t do anything else than travelling and enjoying life. But working and bringing some value for others is actually a big part of our lives and it is something that makes us happy. This is actually the reason why many incredibly rich people still work and make their assets bigger. It would be boring without work!
What would I do if money was no object? I asked myself this question several times in my life and now I know I would still be giving lessons, translating, blogging and helping others out with their motivation and struggles. It’s because I truly love languages, talking to people and explaining complicated things in a simple way. I’m also amazed by all the possibilities we have with affiliate marketing. And I love learning new things. But that’s just me.
What do you like so much you would always be tempted to do? What makes you happy doing?
2. What are you naturally good at
Everyone of us is good at something. You might be unaware of that because you’ve never realised it or haven’t thought of it as of something you could do in exchange for money but it is here.
- For instance, you might be great at understanding technical things like car engines. Or even computers. (I’m not).
- You might be good at explaining difficult things in a simple way. (This is my talent)
- You might be great at making people laugh. (I do sometimes make my partner laugh)
- You might be an amazing cook. (Me, I’m ok but I wouldn’t say I’m really amazing at cooking)
- You might be a good boss telling people what to do and showing them by example. (I rather do things myself)
- You might be a motivational speaker if you can speak very well, emotional and encourage people
If you ask me, I’m naturally good at explaining complicated things in a simple way. Making long sentences short 🙂 Cheering up with positive view of life. Having strong willpower.
There are many other things you might be good at. If you’re still not sure what are you really good at, ask your friends and family but not all at the same time, just one by one.
3. What experience do you have
You gain experience when you learn and practice something for a long time.
Let’s look at your experience.
- You might have experience repairing cars (or helping someone with that) as your hobby.
- Or maybe you have made dozens of delicious cakes.
- You might have lost a lot of weight and managed to keep fit.
- Or you managed to learn a foreign language really fast
- You might be the best shopper always able to find the best offers.
My biggest experience is in languages, I’ve studied German, learned English myself and then completed two Cambridge certificates so I know how it is to learn a language from scratch. I’ve seen many different types of students who struggle with various aspects of language learning.
So what are YOU experienced in?
Put it all together
Now when you combine your passion and the things you are good at with your experience, you can make it your job or source of income.
You can always keep your 9-5 job to pay your bills and start making your hobby your business that will eventually lead to your main source of income.
So let’s sum it up: How to find your talent?
1. Ask yourself: What do I love doing?
What would you always do if you were a millionaire?
What makes time go by so fast that I forget about drinking and eating and everything else when I’m doing this?
2. Ask yourself: What am I naturally good at?
What have other people always asked me to advice them on? What is easier for me to do than for most of the people?
3. Look at your experience: What have you been doing for a long time so you can say you are skilled at that?
What have you put a lot of effort to for many months or years?
If you ask me those three questions, I would say I love languages (both learning and teaching). I am good at explaining difficult grammar in a simple way. And I have experience in translating and teaching.
Discovering your talent by combining your passion with your experience and doing business based on that, you won’t ever have problems with your motivation because you will know that you are doing the right thing.
Even when bad times come and you feel you don’t have enough drive or feel exhausted, you will still know you are on the right path and the bad time is just a break you need to kick in with new energy. Deep down you just know.
Now when you ask the questions above, do you know?
Do you need a bit of more motivation? Watch the video below, it’s mindblowing.
Did this article help you to find out your talent? Let me know!